Since Thanksgiving is very soon, & many of you feel forced to deal with your narcissistic families on the day, I thought I would write a post for you in that position, Dear Readers …
Read the rest of the blog
- What does healing from abuse look like? (traumadissociation.wordpress.com)
- Accepting and meeting your own emotional needs (traumadissociation.wordpress.com)
- The pressure to forgive (traumadissociation.wordpress.com)
- Sometimes I need to step outside my own mind and why I hate complex PTSD may trigger – (invokingthelioness.wordpress.com)
- Trauma and Abuse (traumadissociation.com)
- Complex PTSD (traumadissociation.com)
Surviving the holidays – how important are all those “jobs”?
So, I was making a list and checking it twice. Wanted to find out if there’s a Psychiatrist willing to prescribe emergency Xanax and trying not to hyperventilate. Seriously at this time of the year the list gets a little long and out of control, right? Last time I sat down to do my holiday to-do list, I got to page 3.5 and burst out into tears.
But after I blew my nose and medicated myself with a small amount of premium dark chocolate, I was able to address the list again. And I realized something. I really didn’t NEED to do everything on the list. The list was more a wish list than a highly prioritized, realistic list of the most important stuff I absolutely needed to get done. So I took my list and put it through triage. I sorted out the stuff that MUST get done, from…
View original post 742 more words
My self-care gift of not going to visit my family.
- Dysfunctional families, child abuse poetry, and holiday triggers (traumaanddissociation.wordpress.com)
- 15 Inspiring and Positive Quotes (traumaanddissociation.wordpress.com)
- Stress relieving tips and quotes for the Holiday Season (traumaanddissociation.wordpress.com)
- Merry Christmas – or is it Merry for Everyone? (traumadissociation.wordpress.com)
- ‘Tis the Season to be Jolly (Even if I am Not Feeling Too Fantastic) (thenotdyinggirl.com)
- When Holidays are Not So Happy: Addictions Cause Problems (gabbertsite.wordpress.com)
- Happy Holidays? (intentionalwarriors.com)
For the past few days, I have weighed the pros and cons of visiting my family for Christmas. Even though I already knew that the pros was a shorter list, it wasn’t until this morning that I finalized my decision not to go.
( According to Christian beliefs, Christmas is the celebration of the birth or Epiphany of Jesus and the few astrologers and psychics that came to give him gifts in reverence. Through pure capitalism and brilliant marketing strategies( i.e Santa Claus), centuries later, this holiday has now become an extended version of this gift-giving celebration, where families and friends get together to present and sometimes exchange, gifts.)
For as long as I can remember, celebrating Christmas or any other holiday quite frankly, has been an innate host of trauma, most of which I have not addressed. I have decided this year, to claim my responsibility in adding to…
View original post 655 more words
5 tips for reducing holiday stress
- Plan ahead, and plan time for relaxing quietly
- Practice saying “No” if you have to much to do already, or are already feel tired or ill
- Spend time outdoors, stretch your legs with some gentle exercise and fresh air
- Remember to take care of yourself, and do things for yourself, not just for others
- Try practicing mindfulness, which can help with traumatic memories
For fast-acting relief, try slowing down.
“If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.”
Amit Ray, Om Chanting and Meditation
Don’t underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering
Pooh’s little Instruction Book
What is your favorite way to relieve stress and relax?
- 15 inspiring and positive quotes (traumaanddissociation.wordpress.com)
- How to Make Some Time for Yourself this Holiday Season (lakeside.com)
- Serotonin: The Essential Holiday Cocktail (dharmaauthor.com)
- The Best Motivational Quotes to Lift Up Sadness at Christmas (ipnostudio.com)
- Beating the holiday blues (spokaneinfolink.wordpress.com)
- 10 Winter Wonderlands to lift your mood (huffingtonpost.com)
- Mindfulness training alters emotional memory recall compared to active controls: support for an emotional information processing model of mindfulness (research abstract)
- Managing Flashbacks (traumaanddissociation.wordpress.com)