There are times when fighting is impossible and would result in serious injury or death, and flight is impossible too. This possum isn’t choosing to freeze, it is an automatic response.
A survival mechanism, activated in the face of inescapable threat.
- The fight flight or freeze mechanism is why we dissociate, becoming more hyper-vigilant, trying to control, avoiding at all costs!! (ptsdawayout.com)
- Chronic pain – caused by trauma? (traumadissociation.wordpress.com)
- Trauma and Abuse (traumadissociation.com)
- PTSD (traumadissociation.com)
- What does the Amydala do? (hypnoticthoughts.com)