Sexual Abuse and Child Sexual Abuse – How does it happen?
Researcher David Finkelhor interviewed many child abusers and survivors of child sexual abuse, and what he found was that child sexual abuse was always planned.
Understanding how the psychology and pattern of behavior of an abuser before the abuse began can help alter this perspective by helping a survivor see this from a more neutral point of view.
Many survivors blame themselves
If you are a survivor of child sexual abuse, do you blame yourself – either fully or partly – for what happened?
If you do it may be helpful to understand the thought process and actions a pedophile takes before abusing a child, these are the preconditions for the child sexual abuse. You could use this information to reflect on your own experience, and see if you can identify previous actions that your abuser took to allow the abuse to take place.
This may help shift the sense of blame away from you, and back to where to belongs – blame belongs with the abuser, not the child.
The four preconditions of child sexual abuse
David Finkelhor developed a model that outlined four preconditions of child sexual abuse.
Read about them here
Coming to terms with incest is not easy. Learning to be a survivor, not a victim, gives new meaning to life”
Lynette Gould, Heart of Darkness: How I Triumphed Over a Childhood of Abuse
- Trauma and Abuse (traumadissociation.com)
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder – What are the symptoms? (traumadissociation.com)
- Do survivors blame themselves for the abuse? How can they change this? (traumadissociation.wordpress.com)
- What’s Trauma Bonding, is it linked to child abuse, complex PTSD and Stockholm syndrome? (traumadissociation.wordpress.com)
- Safety and Privacy Tips for survivors of abuse: Facebook and social networking (traumadissociation.wordpress.com)
- The Abused Inner Child (boundariesofthesoul.com)
- CEOP- introduction, statistics and key treat areas for 2013/2014 (safeguardingonline.wordpress.com)
- 5 Things Never to Say to a Survivor of Abuse (survivingyesterday.wordpress.com)
- Stop Child sexual abuse, (jeevabng.wordpress.com)
- Former Headteacher Of Caldicott School Convicted Of Child Sexual Abuse (theneedleblog.wordpress.com)